Chinese Steamboat that's worth the try - 55 Steamboat @ Boat Quay

July 23, 2017


Tucked snugly in the area of Clarke quay and situated in the middle of different shop houses was a steamboat house that caught my attention because of its unique name. 55 Steamboat.



Interior and Dining Area of 55 Steamboat

The restaurant had a very cozy interior and surprisingly it was very clean and neat for a buffet venue. It has a hipster arty feel to it. The cemented floors together with their red artistic brick walls and minimalists decorations compliment each other and suited the ambience. Even their lightings were uniquely designed in a shape of an umbrella! Talk about being fanciful.  
One of the friendly and cheerful staffs
For heating the steamboat, they used induction cookers. I really like how they served everything in big portion neatly in a white plate. The staff were very friendly, always smiling and you can really see that they were enjoying themselves serving people. It left a very good impression on me about their service.  


For those who can’t live without Wifi, they do provide it for their guests so feel free to make use of it. And like many recent technologically advanced restaurants, order taking was done via the help of the waitress through their usage of the iPad so mistakes of your order is greatly minimized.

Tomato steamboat soup base
The options for the soup base are Tomato Soup, Bone Soup and Hot & Spicy Soup and wanting to choose something out the norm, I decided on Tomato Soup. At first I thought that it would be sour but I was surprised by its sweetness and how it made everything taste even better! I could actually taste the flavour of the red tomatoes which did not taste one bit watered down. It was indeed a good choice. Do take note that the price of the soup is not included in the buffet. But if you are coming as a group of 4 or more, getting the bigger soup bowl that comes in 2 different soup base is definitely worth the money.



Amidst their wide range of meat, sliced mutton, sliced beef and sliced pork belly were my favourite. Just by looking at their fresh meaty appearance was mouthwatering. Although they were thin they did not shred as easily as I had imagined. It was such a delight to eat the meat that was very juicy, moist and tender. The only thing that I personally did not like was the skin on the chicken which has a rather gamey taste after it was cooked.




Huge variety of sauces and garnish to choose from
As there was many different sauces selection ranging from sesame sauce to oyster sauce, I could not make up my mind. Thankfully, there was a friendly waitress around whom I asked to help me decide on a good choice of sauce.


The sauce the staff whipped up for me!
After suggesting a few sauces to make the perfect mix, she even personally mixed them for me which really impressed me a lot with her good service. Using the sauce to dip the meat made the taste even better!

Salmon ball with cheese
Although I am not actually a fan of salmon but I was actually surprised by the taste of their salmon. Their salmon ball with cheese was very addictive! And I like especially how the taste of cheese actually burst in my mouth and it got me craving for more.
Freshly harvested flower crabs

Sweet and juicy even after cooking it
If you are a shellfish lover, you will not be disappointed! The prawn and flower crab were definitely the star of the show. It is one of these moment that you pause and think about how good the food. They felt like they were freshly harvested from the sea, the flesh was sweet and juicy and was supremely satisfying!


Plump and juicy green mussels
The green mussels were plump and juicy as well! And their Slice fishes were soft. Even their cuttlefish had no fishy smell to it. They also had a unique prawn paste fish that seemed handmade and is packed in a plastic wrapper that had to be squeeze directly into the boiling soup to be cooked.


What not to try: The rather disappointing beancurd skin
Their vegetables were also looking garden-fresh and crisp. While putting my meat between the celery, the taste of the vegetables added freshness and texture to my flavorful meat. Another option that was different from the vegetables were the beancurd. There was a variety of beancurd skin, soft bean curd and frozen bean curd. However, it was rather disappointing as I felt that the beancurd skin was very plain and did not really display the taste that I was expecting.
Something exotic: Duck's tongue
They also serve exotic ingredient that you don’t normally find in a buffet. Like ducks tongue and their a la carte Pig brain that costs $5 each serving. Try it if you want to experience something different! I, however, was not daring enough and only tried the duck’s tongue. Honestly, it did not look appetising with it being about the size of a thumb and with meat and cartilage in the centre. To me, it tasted similar to a chicken’s feet which all in all did not taste bad, I still felt squeamish about it though.

Wide assortment of ice cream available
To finish off the hearty steamboat buffet, I wanted to get something cooling in my mouth. They have a wide variety of different flavor of ice cream. Of course, I had to try all of them. Their choices were: Thai Tea, Oreo, Strawberry, Black Sesame, Green Tea, Milo and Maple Walnut. I am normally biased towards green tea but black sesame was my favoured choice this time. As for the drinks, their price was also reasonable. To keep my stomach light for eating the buffet, I ordered a green tea and it came in a unique mug that looks very cool.


I really enjoyed my wonderful experience and would love to come visit again.
Expected damage per person: SGD 28 - 32

Price Per Adult (Monday to Friday) - SGD 26.80++
Price Per Adult (Saturday to Sunday) - SGD 29.80 ++

Overall, a 'Coming back again!' 3 Ninja Star





Operating hours:
Tuesday: 5pm – 10pm
Wednesday and Thursday: 11am – 10pm
Friday and Saturday: 11am – 12am
Sunday and Monday: 11am – 10pm  

55 South Bridge Road
Boat Quay
Singapore 058686

Contact Number: 65 6533 7608

Facebook page here

Here is where 55 Steamboat is located:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About Us


About [span]me[/span]

Hello, We are the FoodNinjaSG.

We are food bloggers who are on a mission to search and hunt for food establishment with the best food experience.

Find out more About Us


Privacy Policy

By accessing the website at http://foodninjasg.blogspot.com, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of service, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.

Read more about our privacy policy