Shinagawa Ramen and Izakaya

July 03, 2017


Tanjong Pagar district is known to offer a great variety of authentic korean and japanese food. Today, we decided to give Shinagawa Ramen and Izakaya a try. The place was hard to find but we managed it somehow. It is worth it? Yeah, probably only with 50% off discount using eatigo app. 

Char Siew Ramen, Roast Pork Vegetables & Egg Noodles (SGD 12.80++)

In my opinion, the broth tasted like the chinese instant noodles I had in China. It’s rich, savoury and has a very specific umami taste (read: msg) The thinly cut char siew was chewy and flavourless. The egg was way overcooked - the yolk was not runny. The noodles was good though having a nice texture and mouthfeel. Subconsciously, in my mind, I feel like I’m paying money just to have my instant noodles in a better quality bowl with subpar topping haha. Coming from a place that puts ‘ramen’ in their name and naming this dish as their signature ramen? I really expected so much more.

Chirashi Don, Rice topped with Assorted Raw Fish (SGD 19.80++)

The first thought that came in my mind when I received the dish was 'Where is my octopus?' From what the menu pictured, the dish clearly shows octopus in it. Initially, I thought they ran out of octopus but it wasn’t the case as I look through some of the online review by customers that dined there. Apparently, they don’t add in octopus anymore. I love octopus and I was sad that it was not included inside. The rice was plain so I had to add a lot of soy sauce for taste. They use imitation crab stick which I thought was very cheap of them. I would say the only thing that I could praise was thankfully the fish was somewhat fresh. It was a little fishy but not so terrible that I could not deal with that. For SGD 19.80 a bowl, forget it, order something else more worthy. 


Grilled Salmon and Egg Roll with Cod Roe (SGD 15.80++)

Likewise to the Chirashi Don, the question that came to my mind was ‘Where is my egg roll?’ Neither did I taste nor see egg roll in this maki, despite it being stated in the name and as picture in the menu with the egg roll included. It still taste decent with the cucumber providing the extra crunch and freshness. They had torched the salmon slices giving it a lightly charred flavour which is a nice touch to the roll.


Tori Karaage, Deep Fried Chicken (SGD 7.80++)

At this point of time, I am somewhat angry that the dishes we’re served were totally different from the menu itself. A good karaage should have a gingery taste from the marination that is used to marinate the chicken. However, it was not present in this karaage. The chicken was dry. It’s like eating those fried chicken you get at kopitiam. The portion size was pathetic. If you piece all the small bits together, it barely fit half of raw chicken thigh. 


Overall, the dining experience was rather underwhelming. Being on the second floor in an old building filled with empty or shops that have been closed down, the restaurant was hard to find. The stiff competition around Tanjong Pagar makes the place feel dull and unexciting. Besides, there are many other nearby Japanese restaurant offering the same menu , with probably much better quality of standard food served. Their businesses would be much better off if they had taken more heart into the food they serve and perhaps at a better location, in a more lively and crowded place. 

Expected damage per person: SGD 15 - 28

Operating hours:
Monday - Saturday: 10am - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
Sunday: Closed 

10 Anson Road #02-03/36/37
International Plaza
Singapore 079903
Contact Number: +65 6221 7575

Website here

Here is where Shinagawa Ramen and Izakaya is located:


You Might Also Like

0 comments

About Us


About [span]me[/span]

Hello, We are the FoodNinjaSG.

We are food bloggers who are on a mission to search and hunt for food establishment with the best food experience.

Find out more About Us


Privacy Policy

By accessing the website at http://foodninjasg.blogspot.com, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of service, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.

Read more about our privacy policy